Daily Challenge Wednesday Jun. 06, 2012

Creating Community

Write down 3 causes you feel passionately about.

• Katie C. and Julie C. smiled at this

My first cause is easy because my oldest son is autistic. He is the poster child for what early awareness and intervention can do for a child. I am truly blessed with him and believe that with the majority of the children if you find a way to connect with them early on and get them communicating, that is the key to getting them to fulfill their potential. It's not about getting them to be "normal", but functional.

The second one is at the fore front of my zealousness right now. Last Saturday when travelling from a wedding to the reception, I witnessed the tail-end of a horrific motorcycle crash with a man not wearing a helmet. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you ride a motorcycle WEAR YOUR HELMET! It's good to wear leathers and all, but it will not protect your skull when you land head first into the road, then have your bike roll over you. I guess you would couple this with Brain Trauma Awareness (which I believe is this week).

The last one is a toss-up between cardiac health awareness and cancer research. Both are causes near and dear to my heart. I am a cardiac nurse, but lately cancer has touched my life in rather painful ways. I pray they will find a cure for all cancers. I know they are close.

"Write down 3 causes you feel passionately about"

June 7, 2012 at 4:36 UTC
    • Patti T.
    • Katie C.
      Katie C. replied June 7, 2012 at 12:25 UTC:

I don't understand how Pennsylvania has no-helmet laws. Anyone I know who rides has been in at least one accident. You have helmet laws in VA but a lot of people wear the skull caps which I can't imagine protect much.
      You know I have my autism passion -you should have ...see more

• Conni M.
      Conni M. replied June 7, 2012 at 13:12 UTC:

Yesterday, I saw some bikers outside a restaurant we were going into for lunch. I thanked them for putting their helmets on before they took off and why. They thanked me kindly and assured me it was like putting a seat belt on when driving a car.

• Gail V.
      Gail V. replied June 7, 2012 at 19:45 UTC:

GREAT causes Conni. Im with you GF. And I so agree about the Helmets!!! Its not a matter of being cool, but SAFE!!!!

Note: This is a public post. Your reply will be viewable by everyone.
    Posts to: Everyone
  • Julie C., Sherry W., Julie N., and 34 others smiled at this

Write down 3 causes you feel passionately about.

How to do it -- Jot down three political, social, or economic issues that really matter to you - ones that, if resolved, would make the world a happier, better place. Anything is fair game, from children's illiteracy to clean water, from feeding the hungry to saving the whales.

Why it matters -- Most of us want to leave our world better than how we found it. But it's tough to figure out where to start - especially when what you want to do so often takes a back seat to what you need to do. Sometimes all it takes is a little self-reflection to put you back on track and get you thinking about the bigger picture and how you might be able to help.

Fun Fact -- Last year, about 62.8 million people volunteered at least once. That's a lot of helping hands!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Uh oh only three, I'm in trouble, I don't know if I can narrow it down to just three. There are so many topics and specific things I am passionate about. So I originally had a list of about 25 and combined and narrowed it down to these five broad topics. Its the best I can do.
    1. disabilities and invisible illnesses
    2. equality in education
    3. quality of our food supply
    4. green living/ responsible environmental stewardship
    5. children and animal rights

Day three of our pact Lisa and your challenge is Strengthen your core and improve spine flexibility with 10 seated elbow-to-knee crunches. I think I remember how to do these from when I was in teh Exercise for Everyone track. If not I did them two different ways just to be sure. Not sure if it made my spine more flexible, but I now know I have ab muscles, lol.

Oops I'm bad, someone sent me encouragement today but for the life of me I can't remember who. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was and I already emptied the trash in my emails. But you know who you are and thank you very much, encouragement is always welcome and the bonus points are always nice too. Thank you for brightening my day.

Getting set to go farm sit at the ol Yahuh Farm (like housesitting, but at the BF's ever growing farm), while the BF and his mom go to the nieces dance recital on the coast. Every time he goes back to his hometown, he comes back with a renewed appreciation of the laidback country life of Northern Idaho (and a renewed appreciation of this country gal whose roots are buried deep and will never leave again). A week of blissful quietness away from the hellacious neighbors, its going to be heavenly.

"Write down 3 causes you feel passionately about"

June 7, 2012 at 0:29 UTC
    Note: This is a public post. Your reply will be viewable by everyone.
    Posts to: Everyone
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Melissa T. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:53 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Debbie B. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:51 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Mary M. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:41 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Kathleen K. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:32 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Brelyn Y. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:25 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Lou R. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:23 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Nelika R. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:21 UTC

Welcome to Daily Challenge!
  • Nobody has smiled at this yet. Click to be the first!

Felicia M. earned the "One Small Action" stamp June 6, 2012 at 23:19 UTC

MeYou Health, LLC is a Healthways, Inc. company | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Copyright ©2015 MeYou Health, LLC. All rights reserved.